Friday, December 16, 2011

A Return


Peter said to him, “We have left everything to follow you!”
“I tell you the truth,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life.  But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”
-- Mark 10: 28-31

I honestly believe we are hesitant to trust in what we are promised.  The hesitancy has a lot to do with how uncomfortable we are to claim that God is interested in our whole wellbeing while God still calls us to surrender all.

We are quick to say that we believe in an angry heavenly father that ain’t gonna put up with a lot of junk from the children.  I’m tired of God being indirectly described as scornful, impatient and ready to correct.  Jesus says, in effect here, those who have decided to follow and cast everything else aside as less valuable should expect a return on a life investment. 

Uh oh, did I say investment?  Is it all about me? 

Please, it’s all about Jesus.  Uh oh, did I say it’s about Jesus?  Maybe it’s about the poor and lost and disenfranchised?  It IS about them because God so loved the world God sends His son.  I am not a Christian because of the lost.  I am a Christian because I was among the lost and I was found.  Now, I am called to serve and bless, and I was baptized with the Holy Spirit to move forward with grace and power. 

What is given and surrendered freely in a relationship with the risen Christ is done out of love and trust.  What is given will produce fruit because apart from Him we can do nothing.  Alleluia!  That means, with Him, all things are possible.  And, that means, our heavenly Father who is good all the time will grant a return on our investment with a return 100 times of that which was given. 

Fear not, and believe the good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment