Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ambidextrous God?

Is God ambidextrous?  According to Wikipedia, ambidexterity is the state of being equally adept in the use of both left and right appendages.  God, according to scripture, may not be.  The right hand appears to be the thing.  God acts and dispenses justice, mercy and grace via the royal right hand.  This is o.k. with me.



I read recently from Psalms 138 & 139. "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies, you stretch out your hand, and your right hand delivers me." - Psalm 138: 7. "You hem in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. . . If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast. " - Psalm 139: 5, 9, 10. Great God, your hand delivers me, is upon me, leads me & holds me fast. Sounds like the care and actions of a good Daddy. Alleluia!  

The right hand of a sovereign in ancient days was the appendage of definitive action that was unparalleled.  Once the king or queen has motioned to bless or condemn, that settled it.  I believe, and encourage all to trust, that the right hand of our gracious, empowered God acts on our behalf, and on the behalf of all who draw near.

I found this in Isaiah recently. "Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them.  Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all.  For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you" – Isaiah 41: 12, 13.  

Where God is seen to act on our behalf, and on all who draw near, by virtue of a divine imposition through His right hand, we now see the place of our right hand.  It's in God's left hand.  That's where we see God's ambidexterity.  God delivers, leads, holds and imparts with the right hand, but then, I believe, as God takes hold of our right hand, God does so with His left saying, "Don't be afraid.  I'll help you."

Tell somebody, share with somebody in word or deed that our God is an outrageously good parent that takes us by our hand and never lets go.

1 comment:

  1. Love that Scripture. It has been sustaining to me at several times in my life and it is very timely for now. TY

    ReplyDelete