Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Princes



I dig this from Psalm 113.

Who is like the Lord our God, the One who sits enthroned on high, who stoops down to look on the heavens and the earth?  He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes,
with the princes of their people.  He settles the barren woman in her home
as a happy mother of children.  Praise the Lord. - 113: 5-9

I will serve a God like this. Who is like this Lord? He raises those who can't raise themselves and who are barren, no fault of their own. In love, faith and hope, I pledge myself to the divine will of God that will make all things new. Alleluia!

Though I read recently in Psalm 113, God raises & lifts the poor & needy & seats them with princes, I read soon after this in Psalm 146:3, “Do not put your trust in princes, in mortals, whom there is no help. 

I’ve found myself seated with authorities on some occasions.  Sometimes through chance, sometimes through invitations, I’ve sat with princes of this world.  They have been those with authority.  It would’ve been easy, and it was easy, to trust in the princes.  They sometimes offered me sustenance when I needed it.  They sometimes offered me opportunities to prove myself so that I could advance in a chosen field.  Princes are not princes without authority or access to resources to fulfill their duties.  I have longed to influence or impress princes so that I could get what I wanted or needed from them.  So often, I believed I couldn’t survive without princes.

In fearing I couldn’t survive without them, I was living in a state of poverty, a poverty of spirit and soul.  Ironically, Psalm 113 revealed God’s heart to lift up the poor to seat them with princes.  My place cards next to princes could be explained by the grace of God, but then Psalm 146, also speaks the heart of God.  Be aware of the places of honor when they come, but don’t trust the company or confuse them with your true source of security.

We will be seated with authority, but I will not put my trust in such authority. Such authority dies and their plans perish.  I put my trust in the Lord.  Alleluia.

1 comment: