Monday, February 25, 2013

Serious Confidence



I heard fairly recently that a church authority said that he found charismatic Christians to act superior and overbearing.  In my contact with this authority, I found myself exchanging with him intensely when he expressed that I thought people we mutually knew were spiritually immature, and not even Christian, because I didn’t agree with them.   Honestly, my confidence in the Lord and in our relationship looks like spiritual superiority to some.  I don’t care.  I love God, and I love my neighbor, and I love what God has done and is doing in this world, and I want Christians to live out their destinies. 

I want to share a little about the confidence, I believe, we need to have in this season.  This comes from a recent conversation I had with April about a dream that was disturbing.  From Psalm 91, I read, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust (vss. 1 & 2).'” I encourage you to say out loud, “Lord, you are my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” 

We’re in a season in the Spirit where being a Christian who wants to be led by the Spirit and to live out of a divine destiny is serious business.  It’s always been serious, but because of what is in the wind these days, the enemy (which is not flesh and blood - love your neighbor) wants you stifled in your faith and in your growth. In many cases, the enemy just wants you dead because of what authority you live out of as a Spirit-filled lover of God and a lover of what God loves.  It’s serious!  Get serious about saying out loud in confidence, “Lord, you are my refuge and my fortress in whom I trust.” 

Look at the rest of Psalm 91 on your own.  David says the Lord will save you from pestilence, and in Him you’ll find refuge.  Particularly, he says, “You will not fear.”  If the enemy convinces you to be afraid, you won’t believe.  If you don’t trust in the One who has promised to be your refuge, fear will motivate your commitments and decisions.  Simply, you won’t live out of confidence in God, and YOU WON’T TAKE RISKS TO BRING ABOUT DELIVERANCE & HEALING FOR THOSE YOU LOVE.

Do not fear.  Be confident!  Be confident in God.  Be confident in the Spirit of God dwelling in you as you confess Christ as your savior & Lord.  Be confident that you can live empowered by the Spirit to be a conduit of grace, mercy, power & love.  Be confident.  Yes, it would be appropriate to live outwardly in a manner that is humble, but if your confidence in God splashes over into the laps of the religious . . . oh, well.

Finally, with confidence, read verses 9-16.  Focus your spirit on trusting the Lord as your refuge and confess your love for Him because He’s good to you.  See, all this is born of relationship – confidence and love for God & God’s protection, deliverance, honor and long life granted to us. 

We ain’t playin’ no mo.  There are too many people dying, too many sick, too many lost, too many broken and hopeless.  Just too many who don’t know how good & loving God really is.  And we got too many churches who ain’t doin’ what they been created to do – set the captives free!  Baby, this is serious business, and the Devil wants you hopeless, fearful, sick or dead.  This ain’t the life for the faint hearted.  But, the good news is, you’re created to do this stuff, and to be a conduit of love and power in Jesus’ name.  Put on your armor and confess loudly for the demons to hear, “The Lord is my refuge and my fortress in whom I trust.  I love Him and all that He loves!”  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment