Monday, February 11, 2013

Yellow Hat



Oh, I was involved in the last throws of moving, relocating, the last steps of transition.  It amounted to carrying the last of our bulk garbage to the city dump.  To take this stuff that couldn’t fit in our garbage can to the dumb reluctantly seemed to symbolize the season we were leaving – just too much crap to easily dispose of so you have to live with it for too long.

Anyway, with the seats out of the back of the minivan, I load it up with the aforementioned garbage and head across down.  I put the CD player on and listened to a Bethel Live cut that made me laugh and cry as I drove across town and thanked God fervently for his grace and mercy for this season and for all that glory and power and love that was coming to set so many free.  Oh, yeah!

It began to rain.  I stopped at a stop sign.  A gentleman with a backpack crossed in front of me walking quickly in the rain.  I’ve come to the place where if someone gets my attention because they catch my eye or pass by me, I’ll check my spirit to see if there was a degree of compassion that had arisen in my heart for that heart.  If there was a connection, I’ll try to follow the Spirit to minister accordingly in deed or word.

There was a heart connection.  As I made it through the stop sign and turned left, I shouted to my new friend, “Hey, you need a hat! You want one?”  Now, when I was turning, the connection and deed amounted to a desire to give the guy my yellow hat I was wearing because it was raining.  He stopped and said, “Yeah.”  He ran quickly to the car with a smile.  I said, “Here. God bless.”  He responded with, “Thank you.” 

Psalm 41: 1-3 reads, “Blessed is he who has regard for the poor; the Lord delivers him in times of trouble.  The Lord will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes. The Lord will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness.”

Dare I make a link between a selfless act and a passage of scripture I’m about to interpret selfishly?  Hey, don’t like the blog?  Don’t waste your time.  See ya.

Blessed or happy are those who have regard for the poor.  I wasn’t looking to act.  I found myself acting in connection with the Spirit.  I found myself regarding one who didn’t have and I gave. 

From a place of hearing and following the Spirit and acting accordingly, I stand in relationship with the One who simply wants partners in this world who will co-labor with him.  And, ya know what?  The King of kings will honor your obedience and love selflessly shared.  Even by using a yellow hat on a rainy day.

1 comment: