Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I Weep, He Hears



Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.  The Lord has heard my supplication; the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be ashamed and struck with terror; they shall turn back, and in a moment be put to shame.  – Psalm 6: 8-10

Oh, there are days when they won’t leave you alone.  They’re relentless.  They complain about your voice and clothing and career choice and driving habits.  And then spring break is over and they go back to school.

Just kidding.

I read this Psalm the other morning.  The joy of a child rose up within me because my great Father was for me and not against me.  I stood in front of the bullies of the neighborhood knowing that my hero stood behind. 

“Get outta here, ya jerks!” 

There have seldom been times when my weeping was audible, but my great Defender could hear me when I cried.  He could hear me.  He could hear me when no one else could.  He could not only hear my cries, but my supplications, my petitions, my prayers.  He heard them and accepted them.  Was I to pray in certain forms or fashions?  Was I to pray only when my faith was strong and durable?  I wept.  I prayed, and he accepted my expressions.

Then there was a wonderful turn in the confrontation with the stupid bullies, those principalities, powers & rulers of this dark age.  They caught a glimpse of who stood behind me, the great & strong Defender.  Yes!  Yes!  They are ashamed!  Hurray!  And best yet, they’re godsmack with terror!  They turn around and experience shame!  This is great!

Seriously, we are blessed because our God hears our weeping and our prayers and accepts them.  The workers of evil are, at best or worst, cut flowers beginning to reek. The joy of this episode is found in the tender mercy and grace of a heavenly Father who will not abandon us to evil.  He will hear our weeping and insistence for relief regardless of our station or position in the Kingdom, regardless of our religious training or biblical knowledge or insight.  “He accepts my prayer.”  This is grace.  This is steadfast love. 

Great God, loving Father, I speak with confidence in you.  I speak in confidence in all you have done for me in love & mercy.  Great God, I love you.    Depart from us in our families and among our friends and in our church, you doers and workers of evil, because the Lord has heard the sound of our weeping.  The Lord, the God of heaven & earth, has heard our supplications.  The Lord accepts all our prayers.  Alleluia to the Lamb!

No comments:

Post a Comment