Tuesday, April 23, 2013

It's Worth Remembering (Part 2)



As I mentioned, there are so many places in scripture on which to land and begin talking about the power of remembrance and recollecting the wonderful works God has done.  The touchstones I will step on may not be your favorites, but you can read my reflections and it’ll inspire you to go back and find your favorite passages that stir up memories and testimonies.  See, I’ve done my job.

Psalm 42 is a comfort to many who have slipped into levels of depression or uneasiness.  It also inspires me to remember the wonderful works of God.

Why are you downcast, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me?  Hope in God, for I will again praise him, my help & my God. – Psalm 42: 5 & 11

Why are you troubled within?  You can hope in God and worship the Lord AGAIN.  Obviously, you had every reason to praise God in the past and you will praise him again.  There is some collective and suppressed memory of worshiping God.  There was a reason to praise & worship, even if it were merely the tradition of your tribe.  There were memories of the collective of the Lord’s wonderful works that supported and inspired worship. 

Why do you worship God?  He deserves praise.  Does the Lord deserve worship because if we don’t, he’ll get angry?  The biblical record shows a holy God that makes himself known to a people in order to establish, build and maintain relationship.  God wants a deep & lasting relationship with us.  Worship is one of our languages to communicate with God.  In worship, we remember the stories experienced by our parents of the faith or our own stories that cause us to remember our own experiences of our God who rescues, saves, heals, speaks, inspires, teaches and strengthens.   Hope in God, for I will again praise him.  It’s worth remembering.

What follows speaks of remembering – My soul is downcast within me; therefore I remember you (Psalm 42: 5b).  The honest reflection of our soul’s condition can lead us to remembering, remembering the wonderful works of God.  A previous verse depicts a memory regarding worship. 

These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I went with the throng and led them with procession to the house of our God, with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival.  – Psalm 42: 4

Psalm 42 addresses uneasiness within by calling the believer to remember the reasons for and the target of our praise and worship.  The result of remembrance and fresh worship will be hope, and hope will give birth to faith.  Alleluia.

As you worship, remember God’s wonderful works.  As you remember God’s wonderful works for you and those you love, worship.  We don’t worship in order to be faithful to our calendar appointments or to make a public appearance so that our friends won’t need to worry about us.  We worship and praise God for what God has done and is doing.  What makes our worship experiences personal is our own recollecting of how loving God has been to us and others like us.  Honestly, we then reach out to him, and it is there we meet him AGAIN.  Hope in God, for I will again praise him.  It’s worth remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment