Friday, August 30, 2013

One Flesh



A reoccurring thought I’ve had lately has to do with the one-flesh of marriage.  On one occasion, Jesus quoted Genesis 2: 24, “’For this reason a man will leave his father & mother and be united to his wife and two will become one flesh.’”  He then said in verse 6 of Matthew 19, “So they are no longer two but one.”  This is what was intended at the beginning, but divorce, as well as disunity regarding anything in marriage, breaks this bond.

There is suppose to be unity in marriage, one-flesh.  The fall produced imbalance in the relationship in Genesis 3: 16, “To the woman he said, ‘I will greatly increase your pains in childbirth; with pain you will give birth to children.  Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.’”  Imbalance, yet, one-flesh.

An evening recently, April and I went to hear Chuck Pierce at a church in Selma, AL.  A former United Methodist colleague, but current friend, of ours came and sat beside me before the worship began.  He told me that that day was his last day at a church where he served on staff.  No honor by word or deed was paid to him by anyone who knew he was being let go.  All of this came as a shock to me.  He felt hurt & very disappointed.  When he went back to his seat, I felt a strong sense of compassion arise within me for him, and I knew I’d pray for him and declare peace and blessing over him before he left there that night, which I did later.

During worship that night, April, who didn’t hear him tell me any of this, felt shame & disappointment well up on the inside of her.  She knew these emotions were not from her but didn’t know where they came from until I told her about what our friend told me. 

Honestly, I believe much of this can be chalked up to April’s gift of discernment.  I also believe this episode is exemplified by the fact that April and I are one flesh.  Since we are one flesh, we have the potential in the Spirit to see and hear the same things in the Spirit or to experience connects in the Spirit even if we’re not involved jointly. 

This is what the Spirit does in us as a married couple, one-flesh.  This is, also, why divorce or disunity in marriage is so counterproductive.  A wife and husband can unite and become remarkably formidable in the Spirit to bring heaven to earth and destroy the works of the devil in the name of Jesus Christ.  Divorce tears that unity apart and weakens what could be a force for the Kingdom. 

Thinking about a pending divorce or separation?  How about thinking better of it?  How about fasting and praying for your unity as a couple to grow strong again so that y’all be what God intends you to be – one flesh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment