Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Dream Anniversary

My birthday is this week.  I never consider birthdays as anniversaries.  They’re not, but there was an anniversary in my life this week.  It had nothing to do with my birth or our marriage.  It had to do with a dream.

I find it remarkable that I haven’t blogged about this dream.  It was so vivid and so apparently from God.  Regardless, Monday was the three year anniversary (not birthday) of this dream, and its still evolving in my spirit and life.

In my last post, I wrote about seeing Psalm 102 with new eyes.  I had always felt that in verses 18-22 I caught a glimpse of the heart of God that absolutely rocked my world.  It was so simple, yet powerful.  Now, with new eyes, I see in the same verses a prompting of the Holy Spirit to write what God has done and is doing to inspire praise and worship in the generations to come and across the globe.  I knew those verses from reading them in The Message translation for the past 13 years, but, now, the Spirit has given me a duty to perform as revival, the opening of death cells, begins.  Write.  I saw it, but I didn’t see; however, I see it now.  Alleluia. 

In the dream, I saw the profiles of a man and a woman and heard a voice say, “Many people find the book of Ezekiel to be confusing.”  I then saw the name and numbers, “Ezekiel 379.”  It woke me up.  I went into the living room and saw April’s bible on an end table.  I picked it up and turned first to Ezekiel 3: 7-9.  It didn’t make any sense to me.

But the house of Israel will not listen to you, for they are not willing to listen to me; because all the house of Israel have a hard forehead and a stubborn heart. See, I have made your face hard against their faces, and your forehead hard against their foreheads. Like the hardest stone, harder than flint, I have made your forehead; do not fear them or be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house. (NRSV)

I thought, “Well, let’s look at 37:9.”  I did and it thrilled my soul.

Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, mortal, and say to the breath: Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.” (NRSV)

Oh, my!  This thrilled me.  I was pastoring a church at this time that April and I loved.  We believed we’d been brought there by God to be instruments of revival and Holy Spirit outpouring.  This verse convinced me of that.  I rose from the chair and praised God, spoke out loud, “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live, “ and subsequently turned to each of the four walls in the house and spoke the verse.  I continued, believing every word I spoke until I finally broke down in tears and laughter.  The Presence had come.  It just thrilled my soul. Revival was coming!  Alleluia!

In order to not be ashamed of what I dreamed, a few weeks later a preached about what I believe was coming from the Lord for our community and region.  I told the congregation in two services about the dream and encouraged them to believe with me.  They nodded in approval as good church folks are prone to do.

A year and a half later, the leadership and I were not on the same page.  Two years after the dream, April and I were out of the denomination in which we ministered for over 20 years, but where we never felt comfortable.

On the three year anniversary of the dream and my experience in the living room, I read both Ezekiel 3: 7-9 and 37: 9.  Something changed.  I had eyes to see.  Ezekiel 3 was dramatically clear.  It accurately depicted what was to happen from the perspectives of both the church and myself.  The congregation, as a whole, lived as a stubborn, hardheaded people who did not listen to the Lord when push came to shove.  Also, I was hardheaded unexplainably.  I remember thinking that in the past I would have surrendered to will of church leadership.  Why was I unwilling this time?  It wasn’t like things were poppin’ and whistlin’ in the Spirit.  I read those verses yesterday and read them to April.  We both said, “Oh, my, God!  That’s exactly the way things were.”  I didn’t see it until now. Now the Spirit abounding in me makes it clear.

Ezekiel 37: 9 is still to be fulfilled on Sand Mountain.  I truly believe this is the way it will be, but I am still called by the Lord to prophecy to the breath in order for the slain to live. 

The Spirit made it clear to me that I am to write in order to record God coming to set the doomed free from their death cells.  Now the Spirit has made it clear that he spoke to me months in advance what was coming AND what is still to come.


I am so blessed that the Lord has and continues to speak and impress on my heart what has been going on in my heart in the recent past and what is still to come.  All of this truly thrills me and inspires me greatly to trust in him and that everything’s going to be alright.  And so, I will believe and listen.  Act swiftly, Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment