Friday, July 11, 2014

High & Extended

We currently live on the second floor in my brother-in-law’s beautiful home.  In 26 years of marriage we've never lived on or even had a second floor.  Now, we reside on one, and I know I’m the only one of the three of us who likes the stairs. 

On June 7, I read from a psalm that speaks about characteristics of God elevated beyond the second floor.

I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples, and I will sing praises to you among the nations for your steadfast love is higher than the heavens, and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. . . . Give victory with your right hand, and answer me, so that those whom you love may be rescued.
-- Psalm 108: 3, 4, 6

Two days later, I read from Psalm 57 verses similar to what I read in Psalm 108,
I will give thanks to you, O Lord among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations for your steadfast love is as high as the heavens; your faithfulness extends to the clouds.
-- Psalm 57: 9, 10

Where I read in Psalm 57 & 108 of God’s love and faithfulness being high and extended, I read the next day through the psalm readings in the Daily Office from Psalm 61, “Lead me to the rock that is higher than I (vs. 2b).”  This is not equal in comparison to the heavens and the clouds, but there is an elevation.  God’s love and faithfulness from which I benefit is high, the rock is higher than the plane on which I stand.  Alleluia.  The higher plane from which I benefit continues to come before me, a higher place of security and relationship.  Alleluia.  The second floor is high.  This is higher still.

As we drove back to Albertville to finish moving from John’s house a couple days later, a truck pulled an open trailer with a large, carved, wooden Jesus standing high on a pile of other carved pieces facing trailing traffic.  It was as if we were following Jesus back to Sand Mountain as we will in the future.  He was positioned higher than anything or anyone else on that highway.

In reading Psalm 70 & 71 on the morning of June 12, I came across one of the phrases from scripture I prayed regularly this spring – “make haste to help me (71: 12b).”  In March there was a pattern that emerged of scripture phrases that captured my heart that often fed my prayer life – “O Lord, make haste to help me (Psalm 70: 1; 71: 12b);” “make haste to answer me (Ps. 69: 17b);” “act swiftly, answer me speedily (Ps. 102: 2b);” “rescue me speedily (ps. 31: 2).”  As I read them now, they don’t ring as significantly as they did earlier.  They were rhema-like for me in the spring.  The scriptures depicting God’s nature being high and extended seem to be the rhema for me today.  “Your power and your righteousness, O God, reach the high heavens (Psalm 71: 18b-19).” 

My attention is now lifted up.  In the spring, it was “make haste,” “act speedily.” Now, it’s God’s love, faithfulness, righteousness, power that reaches and extends high to the heavens and clouds.  The second floor positions us higher than we've been.  These scriptures repeatedly cast my attention to a higher place to which the nature of God is revealed or extended.  Something is being revealed to me these days.

When Eli was home for a summer break, he went to visit friends in Albertville on the 4th of July.  On the way, the Lord came to him out of the blue through some very strong impressions.  The impressions were first, the Lord will do outrageously powerful things on Sand Mountain, and, second, the darkness on the mountain is deep and ancient.  At some point that same evening the Lord gave Eli a verse, Ezekiel 42: 5.  It is odd, and Eli didn't want to venture an interpretation. 

Now the upper chambers were narrower, for the galleries took more away from them than from the lower and middle chambers in the building.

I told him we've been dreaming of buildings and, particularly, ground floors or basements over the past several months.  We’re now living on a second floor.  Since moving here, I've been impressed with several verses from the Psalms that spoke of God’s love and faithfulness and righteousness and power rising to the clouds and heavens.  This image from Ezekiel seems to have a consistent feel with these other impressions.

Doug Addison, a prophet from California (if only we were all prophets from California), posted on the internet a couple days ago, “(Now) is a time to press in to God.  Ask.  Seek.  Knock.  Expect God to answer with good things, and watch for your higher calling to open to you.  It might be in the form of a narrow gate.”  Umm.  Higher calling?  Narrow gate similar to a narrow chamber?  

A few days ago I dreamed.  I was at John’s house in the driveway.  It wasn't quite his house nor was it quite Broad Street beside the house.  I had a pseudo-motorcycle.  It was sort of like the new electric Harley Davidson.  I pulled out onto Broad.  I drove to a place where I was suddenly walking among many people.  The sidewalk led me upward to a flat place that was about 10X20.  I looked down where many people were walking, and I had the thought, “They must have just let out.”  As I stood there with several other people, I was expecting someone I was supposed to meet. 

The small plateau I stood on may relate to Eli’s scripture from the Lord.  The higher place was narrower.  The place in the dream could only fit a limited number of people standing.  Doug Addison’s word appears to relate.  “Watch for your higher calling (the small, flat place was higher than the sidewalk) to open to you.  It might be in the form of a narrow gate (only a few could stand on the plateau).” 


I like living on the second floor.  It’s our space, and we've never lived off the ground floor before.  These days certainly sound different and feel high and extended.

No comments:

Post a Comment