Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Before Advent Departs . . .

Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him
    do not fret over those who prosper in their way, 
    over those who carry out evil devices.  

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath. 
    Do not fret—it leads only to evil. 
For the wicked shall be cut off, 
    but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land
-Psalm 37: 7-9 

Before Advent departs, I wanted to share what the Lord revealed to me regarding waiting in this season.

It was in the middle of this season of Advent when April experienced a spiritual attack in dream form.  The dream involved serpents which always means a demonic encounter.  It angered me to hear about this dream.  I so wanted whoever or whatever was responsible to be cut off, as the Psalm writer said.  If I could have responded violently, I would have.  My spoken words were savage and stained with anger.

These verses from Psalm 37 struck me, sobered my temper when I read them the day after my response to April's dream.  Wait and do not fret and refrain from anger.  Its unnecessary.  Pray for your enemies.

With April, I prayed for those whom I believed partnered, willingly or unwillingly, with those forces that oppose us.  We prayed they encounter God and repent of their partnership with darkness and a spirit of religion against us.  While it is good for the partners of darkness to turn, it is best for me to not partner with vengeance.

Great God, forgive me for my anger and fretting.  I was wrong and childish.  I repent of that behavior and language.  I want to be with you and your will and kingdom.  Alleluia.

Lift up your heads, O gates!  and be lifted up, O ancient doors! that the King of glory may come in. Who is the King of Glory? The Lord of hosts, he is the King of glory! - Psalm 24: 9-10 

The voice of the Lord causes the oaks to whirl, and strips the forest bare; and in his temple all say, "Glory!" - Psalm 29: 9 

The gates and ancient doors are commanded to be lifted up and opened for the Lord.  This is not language of waiting but the language of anticipation and preparation.

What does the Lord do?  The Lord speaks, and the environment changes, and we say, "Glory!"  The Lord acts with words and declarations. We act with preparations.

A few days ago I read a prophetic word Chuck Pierce posted on his Facebook page.  The heart of the posting from the Lord was, "(My people's) hope in me performing what I have spoken has become like a faded dream.  They are living in the present, with dread for the future.  They no longer anticipate favorable outcomes in their lives.  They are not rising above but being sidetracked by circumstances.  These circumstances are keeping them from entering into my creative power. . . . I am able.  Lean not on your own abilities, for I can enable you."

This lost ability to anticipate sounds like Zechariah, John the Baptist's father.  Gabriel took away his ability to speak.  He couldn't speak an anticipating word of what God promised him.  Better he lose his ability to speak than to speak doubt of what the Lord told him.

We've struggled to stay anticipating what God has promised.  What we've experienced in the past year is that there are fewer and fewer circumstances that are sidetracking us.  Yes, God is able.  We're leaning less and less on our own abilities and more on what the Lord still says.

For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him. 
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. 
On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.  -- Psalm 62: 5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment