Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Old Long Since (Auld Lang Syne)

With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day:
Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known his deeds among the nations;
proclaim that his name is exalted. -- Isaiah 12: 3

We listened to and sang Christmas songs performed by James Taylor as we drove south to retrieve our daughter from Auburn for the holidays.  I wrote about this trip earlier in this blog (post: Have Yourself a Joyful Christmas, 12/14/14).  JT's Christmas CD concludes with a touching rendition of Auld Lang Syne.  The spirit of this ancient piece wasn't wasted on me that night.

A translation of "auld lang syne" is "old long since."  This song brings those who sing or listen to reflect on the year about to close.  The lyrics James sang to us that night guided me to recollect two of my friends with whom I've shared experiences in God.



Two of the verses paint adventures shared by two friends:  
We two have run about the hills
and gathered flowers fine
we wandered many a weary foot
since auld lang syne
And . . .
We two have sported in the brook
from morning sun til dine
but seas between us have roared and swelled
since auld lang syne

Though it hasn't been a separation of years from my friends, the song caught me emotionally longing to link again with old friends with whom I shared spiritual encounters.  One friend prophesied repeatedly over me, stirring within me a destiny as a gifted minister regardless of my place or vocation.  My other dear brother shares with me a history. We fought side by side spiritual and ecclesiastical battles. We, also, laughed openly, worshiped freely and shared wholeheartedly.  

And here’s a hand my trusty friend
and give a hand of thine
we’ll take a cup of kindness yet
for auld lang syne

For auld lang syne, my dear
for auld lang syne
we’ll take a cup of kindness
for auld lang syne

I read Isaiah 12 earlier this week.  It spoke to me of what is to come.  Joy can and will be a vessel to draw from the reality of salvation from God alone.  The day when joy will, in effect, be a cup from which we drink of salvation will be the day we all make known God's deeds among the nations.  We’ll take a cup of kindness for auld lang syne (old long since).

In Christ, this day is realized now, AND a level of my calling is still to write and record what the Lord has done and is doing to inspire worship for generations.  April and I and our family are to witness the manifestation of God's presence on Sand Mountain that will heal, save and set free scores of people and families.  We will all drink from the cup from the wells of salvation.  This is our destiny! 

My friends will also witness these things and participate in declaring what the Lord has done.  What is long since past may be remembered, but the dawning of a new day of joy will eclipse the old.  We'll share in a new cup.  Alleluia.

The passing of 2014 will be a joyous passing for this family.  We've all experienced encounters and expressions from the Lord, but the difficulties have never been seen before.  All four of us know there will laborious births in 2015 for us.  We're aware of these facts, but what is to come by the words and hands of our gracious Father will be truly unique for all of us.  This we believe as a family and as those called for tasks in the Kingdom.

Happy new year to you and to all you hold dear!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment