Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Better Than Life (Some Days In January)

Over several days in January, including two nights of worship with April, I played two playlists of worship songs on my laptop on random play, about 17 hours of music.  In these times of worship, How He Loves, sung by Kim Walker-Smith, played regularly to the point of annoyance.

During one night in worship, it played again, and I thought to myself, "If it plays again tonight on this particular nine hour long play list, God's telling us something."  Sure enough, in 20 minutes, Kim was singing again, "Oh, how he loves us."

A couple days later I read from Psalm 63.

O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands and call on your name. -- Ps. 63: 1-4

I know the mathematicians would discount my perspective of Kim's song playing so often as a sign with a message for me.  They'd say I clearly don't understand the statistical probability of that song playing so often with the number of songs playing randomly is not miraculous.  The regularity was bound to happen some time with some song.  Regardless, it was a message to me.

With all that's happening and not happening in and around us, I believe it was essential for our Father to communicate to us these we're loved beyond any realm of understanding. 

He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us, oh,
Oh, how He loves us,
How He loves us so
 

I don't think it would hurt my mathematician friends one bit if they got bitten by The Hound of Heaven, and overwhelmed by the grace that is an ocean.  They'll all be sinking. 

And, be you a statistical genius or confused by arithmetic, in general, God's love for us is better than life, itself.  Life is an interplay of positive and negative forces flowing to the lowest point, floating to the highest level, growing uncontrollably or resorting to compost.  God's love is directed and irresistible. It is encountered.  Our calling is to embrace this eternal reality in order to share its truth and inspire others with the divine possibilities embedded within.  Encountering afresh, God's affections remind us God's eternally good.  He's better than we can imagine.

Nothing will satisfy me more deeply than my God.  In the Presence, in my experience, I beheld and perceived, sought and found the Lord.  

The Lord's love for me is steadfast; better than a temporal, mortal existence with its suffering and dissatisfaction.  I trust such love is without equal in expression and essence.  I claim it as a gift from my Father.  It is on me and within me and sustains me.  It is my life.  It is my soul, my spirit.  I am born again by virtue of the Hesed of heaven, steadfast love.

You love me.  Without change.  Without wavering.  Without altering.  Praise God! I am loved!  Oh, how he loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment