Thursday, June 11, 2015

We Can Only Afford Air

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “There is still one thing lacking. Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” . . . .
And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, 
who will not get back very much more in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.” -- Luke 18: 22, 29-30

I read from Luke 18 recently.  When I read verses 29 & 30 they stirred me.  We have and will have plenty of provision, but we've lost friends.  We'll have friends, particularly new ones, that will come to us, support and minister to us in the days to come.

I shared that with April minutes later. She said afterward she sensed what she believed was the Lord saying, "You worry about giving the pittance of the tithe when I see you've given me everything."  When she shared, we both shed tears.  

The certain ruler in Luke 18 couldn't do what Jesus told him, sell all he owned and give the funds to the poor and follow Jesus.  We've done this not to receive in this life but to participate in the ministry of the kingdom of God in this world, to reveal how good God is, to trust what we've been told and to dream with God.  Alleluia.

A couple of days ago when one of our tires needed air I thought, "We can only afford air."  Actually, we were between pay checks and could hardly afford air for the tire. 

This is how its been for us off and on for over 18 months.  Our debts have increased and left unpaid.  I've only worked part-time since Safe Harbor closed.  We haven't shared how difficult its been financially for us following God's calling and destiny.  Fagan and Ginny's graciousness toward us in providing housing and meals have been very important and loving.  I don't know where we'd be without them.

I got up early one morning recently.  We've had a slow leak in the front, driver side tire.  When I awoke I thought about swapping the tire's position with a back tire.  I went outside, stared at the tire, changed my mind, checked the oil and went back inside.  I thought I'd just put air in it and get it looked at my next day off.   The thought then came to me to get a new tire and an oil change while at work that day.

I can't explain the peace that came to me.  It was funny, peace for deciding to get a tire and an oil change.  I'd just got paid so we had the money.  Both were necessary.  There was peace, and it remains.  It feels we're are prosperous, prosperous to live comfortably though we live hand to mouth.

April listened to a recent Bill Johnson sermon.  He talked about the gates of pearls from the book of Revelation.  When praise and worship take place amidst struggle and defeat, pearls are produced. 

April dreamed in the month of April of a treasure box of pearls of all sizes, including diamond encrusted large ones.  It dawned on April this weekend these pearls were formed when we praised and worshiped despite or amidst all kinds of difficulties and struggles these last couple years.  These are treasures born of praise despite circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment