Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Bring Him What You Are

 And he stood up, and immediately took the mat and went out before all of them; so that they were all amazed and glorified God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this!”  -- Mark 2: 12
  
Great God, I love you.  We have never seen anything like this!  Alleluia.

"Bring him your best.  Give him your best."

These statements, and their variations, I've heard all my life.  These sentiments are true and with pure intentions, I believe; however, this story in Mark 2 of the paralytic being brought or coming to Jesus for healing involves the best being brought.  That's what he brings, a broken, sick body.

Regardless of proper theology or bringing your best, the four who carried him moved heaven and earth to get him to Jesus.  All this has to do with bringing all you are and have to the Lord of all.  They hold nothing back.  

This story and any of the healing stories reflect the same, I believe.  This is what I am, a paralytic, a leper, a blind man, etc., and I come to you, Jesus.  This is who I am, what I am, Jesus.  Only you can make me new.  

Bringing your best should be a lifestyle.  Bringing to Jesus what we have and who we are to the bone is equally as significant.  Its all yours, Lord, and all I am - broken, sick, weak, overwhelmed, strong, well, prosperous, complete.  I spiritually, soulishly and physically give it all to you.  All of it.  Better yet, all I am and have is yours.  I do so in worship and praise.  I give it all for your purposes and glory.

"This morning, I come to you with little money, hearing well from only one ear, with my hands broken out, my right hand is tingling from impediment in circulation, and bearing the scars of a recent staph infection.  Lord, I give you what I am and have for you to heal and restore me.  I come to you to be made whole.  This is all I am, this morning.  Your son is in need.  Heal and restore me, I ask.  I come in faith.  I know there's no one like you." 

After praying and writing this prayer yesterday, the prevailing impression that followed was to confess what I am and have.  I confessed out loud in the bedroom, "I am the healed.  I am the prosperous.  I am anointed.  All in light of what Christ has done for all of us."

Reading about the paralyzed being brought or wanting to be brought is real.  Its good to recognize your own need.  Its even better to seek the One who is eager to graciously bless, save and make whole.  Those who seek him find him waiting to forgive like only God can.  Consequently, everything he does graciously for those who seek him is what only God can do.  Alleluia.

What is the best I bring him?  I bring to him what I am.  My religiosity speaks and tells me the Lord doesn't want me to show how incomplete I am, how broken I remain, or sick or weak or poor.  To be fair and accurate, the religious spirit wants me to remain distant and aloof from my Lord.  If I came to Jesus and said, "Help me, only you can do it," that would position me a step closer to an authentic, honest relationship.  This is not what the religious spirit wants.  Such a spirit wants you ashamed of yourself and scared of God.

What is the best I can bring him?  I will bring to him what I am.  I am complete in him (Col. 2: 9, 10a).  I am saved by virtue of what he's done for all of us.  I believe it and have experienced it.  Life breaks me down.  I come to him as I am, not pretending to be perfect but knowing he knows my needs before I ask.  I come to him and ask in faith for restoration.  He is my life and hope.

What is the best I bring him?  I bring him what I am.  My Lord and God, I am yours.  I love and trust you.  I am in you and you in me.  I trust you as the healer and restorer of all good things.  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment