Thursday, February 25, 2016

'Til I'm Old and Gray

O God, from my youth you have taught me,
    and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds.
So even to old age and gray hairs,
    O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might
    to all the generations to come.
Your power 
and your righteousness, O God,
    reach the high heavens.
You who have done great things,
    O God, who is like you? -- Psalm 71: 17-19, NRSV

I'll keep at it until I'm old and gray.

I don't feel there are tell-tale signs of my age.  My face does have wrinkles.  My hair is graying and virtually gone from the top of my head.  Well, I guess there are signs of my age, but I don't feel old.  I feel I have so much more to do and learn and see.  

This self-disclosure of feelings and signs of age come at a time of my 54th birthday.  These physical indications of age do not cause feelings of regret or anguish in me.  On the contrary, I'm rather mystified at how I've changed.  

My bald head is not too surprising.  I've felt I was a candidate for that for quite a while. Some aches and pains after a hard day at work are not so surprising, either.  I rebound rather easily, but I do appreciate days off more than I used to.  The graying of my hair I'm rather pleased about.  I kind of like it.  Socially, people are more prone to call me sir at work and other places than I remember when I was younger.  

At this, the start of my 54th year of life, there are two things that strike me about this passage from Psalm 71.  First, when I read this yesterday, I frankly affirmed I was closer to old age than I was to my youth, and that was o.k.  

The psalmist said in youth the Lord taught him or her, and he or she proclaimed God's wondrous deeds.  Looking to old age, the psalmist didn't want to be forgotten by God until the psalmist proclaimed God's might to all generations to come.  That's what I want to do, too.

Psalm 102: 18-22 in The Message translation, which revealed to me the Father's heart when I needed to know it, was revelatory to me.  Those verses also revealed to me a significant aspect of my calling in this world.  I'm suppose to write of the wondrous deeds of God in order to inspire multi-generational and multi-cultural worship of the God who does great things.  Thus, I was inspired to create this blog (see Psalm 102 In The Message - A Review, posted 1/16/15).


These verses from Psalm 71, again, reflect this purpose and calling.  It struck me yesterday that I'll be doing it when old and gray.  One might say that's now.  One might also say it will never stop in my lifetime.  This thrills me!  

A large piece of my calling in God is still in tact.  I'm acting on it.  I'm praying over it.  I want it to bring God glory and praise for what he's done and is doing.  I still want and believe many people will worship God freely with many other people they'd never had met or known or loved if it wasn't for inspiration to worship our God from my recording, and the recording of many others, of what he's done.  

Secondly, on this my 54th birthday, I say comfortably I'm unique.  I'm not being prideful to write this (that's usually what the prideful write).  April and I are people of our own choosing because we've heard the voice of God and known the Lord's inspiration and directives.  

We've sacrificed, but we've endeavored to remain steadfast.  We've asked for help to survive, at times, and we've received assistance and benevolences when we didn't expect it.  We've stood still and looked foolish in believing God has selected us to carry a unique calling (see God's Salvation On This Holy Mountain, posted 7/20/15).  We've used our voices and positions to declare what the Lord has called us to and asked others to join us.  We've also used such positions to correct error and call some into accountability.  

All of this standing and believing and sacrificing and suffering has left us different.  We're different people then we were in years past when I had more hair and less to trust God for in this life.

What's going to happen now? 
I'll keep at it until I'm old and gray.  God has promised and revealed and spoken and shared his heart to us.  Our destiny is to steward a portal where heaven will come to earth on Sand Mountain, continue to be conduits of healing and deliverance and salvation and inspiration in name of Jesus Christ, tell of how good God is, and he can be trusted.

When its irrelevant to describe me as old and gray, April and I will be described as those faithful Christians who dared to believe when it was hard, and God continues to use them in mighty ways to bring heaven to earth. Amen.  Alleluia!

You got me when I was an unformed youth,
    God, and taught me everything I know.
Now I’m telling the world your wonders;
    I’ll keep at it until I’m old and gray.
God, don’t walk off and leave me until I get out the news
Of your strong right arm to this world,
    news of your power to the world yet to come,
Your famous and righteous ways, O God.
God, you’ve done it all!
    Who is quite like you? -- Psalm 71, 17-19, The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment