Wednesday, March 16, 2016

We Dream, Instead

It would be so smart and tidy for us to hear the Lord's voice with clarity.  My, it would be so much like the encounters Abraham and Moses had.  It would be so much like the teaching and sharing Jesus did with his friends in Galilee; however, we're not hearing things as easily as they did.  We dream, instead.

Psalm 16: 7 reads, I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.  It is at night the heart can instruct us when the Lord desires to share with us.  Sometimes daytime is too full of interference to hear his voice. 

Before dawn on Valentine's Day, April dreamed I was scheduled for an operation.  In fact, she was the one who administered the anesthetic.  To her surprise, it turned out to be a local anesthetic.  I was awake for the operation, and she was there to observe what took place.

The operation was to place a new heart in my groin.  I didn't suffer or endure pain.  April said in the morning, in recapping this for me, a groin in a dream symbolizes fruitfulness, and a new heart symbolizes increase or a new life.

February 16, Bethel Music posted a slide on Facebook advertising their new album, Have It All.  It became downloadable on February 26, my birthday.  The slide depicts a heart, not a Valentine image or a cartoon or artist's depiction of a romantic image often associated with the heart.  It's a sculpture's realistic rendering of an actual heart.  Merely coincidental that the advertisement promotes a CD with a heart on the cover available on my birthday after April's dream of a heart implanted in my groin?  I find it stupid-funny!  



On our way home from church that afternoon, in talking about this dream, April recalled in the last days prior to leaving my last church as pastor she dreamed I was crucified and emasculated.  During worship, she believed the Lord communicated to her what was taken from me in those days was being restored to me in these days.

I dreamed recently all four of us lived in a basement in an old house.  White washed walls in this basement symbolized God's presence. There were no windows, just openings in the walls, which symbolizes to see clearly.  Living in a basement implies things hidden and stored.  A basement can also symbolize the beginning or foundation of something significant. It was the first dream of mine for a while, if ever, all four of us in the family were together.

There were things I couldn't remember from the dream, but there were significant things I could recall.  Eli told me in the dream, "Dad, you dreamed in January of going to Loyola University."  In the dream, I thought that was interesting.  I then told him I dreamed that twice.  April and I told him two dreams was significant because two means something was witnessed as true (In Genesis 41, Joseph said two dreams of the same theme means its fixed by God).  Saint Loyola was gifted in spiritual discernment (1 Corinthians 12:10).  I believe I'm learning spiritual discernment (going to 'college' again), and it's fixed by God.

Later in the dream, Anna went upstairs in the house (ascension).  While moving upstairs, there was standing water in the basement, and her movement upstairs trembled the water.  We believe this depicts Anna's destiny.  She'll ascend and impact environments.

Also, it was raining outside in the dream.  Rain symbolizes the outpouring of the Spirit.  Eli put on a raincoat like one my parents gave me prior to seminary, a Botany 500.  It made me look like an adult as it did Eli.  He and I looked at each other, and he then walked outside.  There was an opening without a door. As he stepped outside, his head turned into a gorilla head.  In researching the images in the dream, I knew there was a referencing to gorillas or apes in the Old Testament.  A source I found referred to two verses.  The Greek word used for ape in these verses means swift, nimble, active, and we would add strong.  This sounds like Eli to us.  Like Anna ascending, Eli moves out into an outpouring as a strong, nimble and active man of God.

Now, it was just April and me (sounds like a dream April had in early February - our kids left us in that dream, as well).  The rain continued.  Water started flowing through the basement swiftly.  Water is always symbolic of the Holy Spirit.  I heard what sounded like a broadcast from a television, radio or computer.  The voice mentioned shutters like on a house covering windows.  I then noticed I was holding an old newspaper clipping where two men were walking and looking at the camera jovially, both carried two broken shutters apiece after an apparent tornado.

Before we left Albertville and moved to Anniston, April dreamed of tornadoes.  We experienced spiritual and other forms of turmoil our first year here.  April helped interpret that for me.  The shutters cover windows and sight or open vision through the windows.  These shutters in the picture were torn off.  Undoubtedly, I now can see.  In the basement, the windows were out - no glass, no frames.   My sight into the world from the basement is now unimpeded.  The newspaper pic was old reporting of tornadoes long past.

The dream in February portrays a new, fruitful life for me.  The dream in March sketches me as one with new sight and gifting as the Spirit begins to flow in our environment and our world. Are these smart and tidy channels of communication of the Spirit?  Dreams remain mysterious.

Dreams are part of the prophetic identity of Christianity's past, present and future.  Dreams are evidence of the pouring out of the Holy Spirit upon all flesh.  
Indeed, these are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o’clock in the morning.  No, this is what was spoken through the prophet Joel:
‘In the last days it will be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh,
    and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams.' -- Acts 2: 15-17

I wrote about us being in the fourth day as in the creation story in Genesis when the heavenly lights for signs, seasons and times were created (The Year of Leaping [Close to The Edge], posted 2/12/16).  Our dream life is providing for us signs, benchmarks labeling seasons and times. Some may canvas scripture and their favorite preachers and teachers to receive fresh revelations and other spiritual insights that bring insights of a loving and faithful God.  We have done the same for years.  Such work and rich encounters with our God have led us here and opened doors to our destinies in Jesus.  In addition, in the night, our hearts instruct us. In addition, we dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment